White Collar Criminal Defense and Investigation
In a business environment of increasing regulations and scrutiny, many corporations of all sizes have unexpectedly received subpoenas, search warrants, or other contact from law enforcement. From initial contact with the government through final resolution of the investigation or case, Kaplan Voekler Cunningham & Frank PLC White Collar Criminal Defense attorneys are committed to guiding individuals and businesses through crises.
White collar crime and government investigations are complex and sensitive, requiring specialized skills and knowledge. The KVCF White Collar Criminal Defense team has particular experience assisting employees and business owners working in regulated industries or whose companies receive state or federal money. By conducting their own investigations early in the process, KVCF White Collar Criminal Defense attorneys focus on limiting our clients’ exposure to civil and criminal liability by getting in front of the issues. We strategically defend against such actions — often prior to indictment and before investigations are made public.
Representative matters involving KVCF lawyers include:
- S. v. Perry(E.D. VA 2014). Secured sentence of less than one-fourth the federal sentencing guidelines recommendation for business owner convicted of healthcare fraud following three-week high-profile jury trial.
- S. v. Elbagoury(E.D. VA 2012). Secured acquittal for business owner on four counts of tax fraud in four-day jury trial
- Defended private multi-national corporation in public corruption investigation by DOJ.
- Defended government contractor under investigation for violations of export control laws.
- Represented national health care company in administrative proceedings before local Department of Social Services for allegations of abuse and neglect.
- Defended business owner under investigation by FBI for tax evasion and fraud charges.
- Lead counsel for national health care company in 20-month investigation for health care fraud following execution of search warrant and seizure of its records by federal agents.
- Conducted internal investigation and safely guided company through concurrent federal investigation into allegations of False Claims Act violations, bribery and illegal gratuities.
- Conducted internal investigation and served as lead counsel for health care company under investigation for alleged health care fraud as a result of fraudulent billing practices.
- Negotiated dismissal of racketeering conspiracy and other RICO violations in exchange for plea to one count of illegal gambling for chapter president of national motorcycle club.
- Represented executive in federal criminal investigation by FDA into alleged marketing of prescription drugs for unapproved or off-label uses.
- Investigated allegations of insider trading and securities fraud by senior executives and assisted bank in obtaining safe harbor protection through timely reporting of the findings.
- Obtained defense verdict in arbitration on behalf of publicly-traded company charged with breaching the option agreement of one of its senior employees.
- Secured findings of “unfounded” in seven administrative hearings for staff members of school for at-risk youth charged with abusing and neglecting students.
Is your business facing legal issues related to a White Collar Crime? Contact us to discuss how we can help.